Appaloosa Non-Studbook Registry
Starting 1st August 2008, The Appaloosa Horse Association of New Zealand is pleased to announce that the APPALOOSA NON STUDBOOK REGISTRY will commence.
- The non-studbook registry is based in New Zealand for New Zealand horses.
- To register you must contact one of the councillors named below for a copy of the registration pack.
We have put together some questions and answers to help with the registration process.
- I have an Appaloosa horse that previously has not been able to be recognized by the Appaloosa Horse Association of New
Zealand. Itís coloured with Appaloosa markings, and looks just like an Appaloosa.
I know who the parents were, but there was no paperwork done to enable me to get the horse into the ApHANZ Studbook.
- I have an Appaloosa that is by an Appaloosa registered in the ApHANZ Studbook, but the other parent is not recognized in
their breeding programme.
- I know that my horse has Appaloosa parents, but shows no colour, except maybe a bit of mottling, and white stripy feet, and
white around the eyes (Sclera). It has never been progeny recorded with ApHANZ, and no paperwork was done, so that the horse cannot
be registered in the ApHANZ Studbook.
- I know that my horse is from Appaloosa parents, as he/she looks like an Appaloosa, but I have no other information.
Any of the above horses may qualify to be accepted for the Appaloosa Non Studbook Registry, at the ApHANZ Councilís
What do I have to do to apply for registration of my horse in the Appaloosa Non Studbook Registry?
Apply to either of the councillors named below for a copy of the registration pack, complete the registration form, and return to
the secretary of ApHANZ with photos and fees. If your horse is accepted for the Appaloosa Non Studbook Registry, you will receive
your registration papers and a handbook. A competition points book will be sent if requested.
- If I breed my Appaloosa Non Studbook registered mare to another Appaloosa that is registered with ApHANZ, or an un-
registered Appaloosa, can I register my foal in the Non Studbook Registry?
- If my Appaloosa Non Studbook registered mare has a coloured foal to a Non Studbook Stallion, can I register that foal in the
Appaloosa Non Studbook Registry?
- My Appaloosa Non Studbook registered mare has had a plain coloured foal born from a breeding to either another Appaloosa
Non Studbook registered Stallion, or a Stallion in the ApHANZ Studbook, or is from a stallion of unregistered breeding, can I register
Probably yes to all of above questions, provided that the non Appaloosa used is not a Paint or Pinto, and that a breederís
covering certificate is completed in Triplicate. If accepted by Council, any foal from any of these above breedings can never be
registered in the ApHANZ Appaloosa Studbook unless proved beyond doubt in the future that the horse is eligible with all paperwork
Why can I not use Paint or Pinto horses in my breeding programme?
Paint and Pinto horses have a different coat pattern from an Appaloosa coat pattern, so you end up with a horse with big
coloured patches that are in unusual places for an Appaloosa.
What other horses can I not register with the Appaloosa Non Studbook Registry?
Cloned horses, Herda carriers, mares or stallions that are HYPP, Hn or HH, but geldings may be accepted. ( HYPP nn are
What colour breedings are not recommended?
Grey or non Appaloosa roan is not recommended as they will also kill the wonderful Appaloosa colour that the Appaloosa horse
is known for.
Grey is dominant, and after a few years the coat pattern will be Grey with no varnish marks. Non appaloosa roan will also kill the
Appaloosa coat pattern. In an Appaloosa roan horse they will have dark patches on the face, the elbow, stifle, and in the flanks, and
possible will have dark ears, which are called varnish marks, whereas a non Appaloosa will not have those, and the roan will be an all
What other restrictions are there so that I cannot register my Appaloosa in the Appaloosa Non Studbook Registry?
- There is a minimum height restriction of 14hh, which must be reached at the age of 5 years.
- There is no breed restriction on any horse in the Appaloosa Non Studbook Registry.
- The horse must be clearly recognised as an Appaloosa by colour and/or characteristics.
If I want my Non Studbook Registered horse to compete and gain awards in open competition, will I receive recognition?
Yes, we will be running competition points books that can be filled in and collated by our appointed points officer for a small
fee, at the end of each year (July 31). Certificates and/or prizes may be awarded.
Can my Appaloosa Non Studbook horse enter Appaloosa Halter events at Western shows, or where the Appaloosa Halter
events are being run?
No, not unless they are special Appaloosa classes for the Appaloosa Non studbook registered Horses.
Can my Appaloosa Non Studbook registered Horse enter the ApHANZ Appaloosa National Show?
No. There is no provision for them to do so, as it is a closed ApHANZ Studbook show. In the future there may be classes run
specifically for them.
Do I have to be a financial member of ApHANZ to register my Appaloosa Non Studbook horse?
No, but it is highly recommended, to enable you to enjoy the benefits of being a full member of ApHANZ.
If you require any further help, information or a registration pack, please contact one of the following:
Rae Mutch - Phone: 07 847 5555 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hendrik Mellema - Email: email@example.com